If you chose a light beer the beer taste will be light, if you however want a powerful beer taste you should use a dark one. You can reduce the fat in this dish by removing some of the fat from the Pork before starting.
- 2 pork shank
- 300 g parsnip
- 200 g Hamburg parsley
- ¼ celery root
- 3 carrots
- 2 large onions
- 4 potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 peppercorns
- 33 ml beer
- Cut groves in the shanks and place in an ovenproof dish.
- Peal all the vegetables and dice coarsely.
- Place around the meat in the dish with the herbs and pour over the beer.
- Place the dish low in the oven and turn on at 180 °C (355 °F) and leave to roast for 2½ hour.
- Occasionally drip the meat with some of the beer.
- Turn the meat over halfway through.
- The dish is finished when the meat fall of the bone.
- Serve whole at the table with the vegetables.
- Serve with rye bread, mustard and chopped parsley.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.