This recipe was in a cluster of recipes designed to please children. The idea of rice and apples, plus a hint of orange marmalade makes it a treat for their parents as well.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup uncooked rice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 or 5 medium-sized apples, pared and quartered or canned stewed apples
- 2 to 3 tbsp orange marmalade
- Combine milk and water in a double boiler or enameled pan.
- Stir in rice.
- Steam all until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in sugar, salt land butter with, of all tings, a fork! stew your apples (or use already stewed apples in a can or jar) by putting them in a little water and cooking over a low flame until soft.
- Now line a buttered dish with half of the rice; place cooked apples in the center.
- Spread the marmalade over the apples and rice.
- Top with remaining rice.
- Bake at 350 °F for 30 minutes.
- Serve with milk or cream.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.