- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 medium eggs
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter; melted, cooled
- 1 cup milk, whole
- ½ lb salt codfish
- 1 hot pepper; seeded
- 2 scallions; chopped fine
- 1 garlic cloves; crushed
- 1 tbsp parsley; chopped
- ½ tsp thyme
- 1 allspice berry; ground
- black pepper; to taste
- vegetable oil
- Sift flour and salt into bowl.
- Beat eggs with butter and add to flour mixture.
- Add milk gradually, stirring only to mix.
- Add more milk if batter is too stiff.
- Cover, allow to stand 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, soak in cold water.
- Drain, remove bones and skin.
- Pound in mortar with hot pepper.
- Add scallions, garlic, parsley, thyme, allspice, and black pepper to taste.
- Stir into batter and stand 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in deep fryer (375 °F) and fry mixture by heaping tablespoons until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.