- 2 to 3 cups (one to one-and-one-half pounds) dried cowpeas (black-eyed peas]]), or kidney beans, or similar
- 1 to 2 cups maize (corn) - fresh (off the cob), canned, frozen or dried
- a few small pieces of dried or smoked or ground dried shrimp (optional)
- ½ cup palm oil (or any oil)
- cayenne pepper or red pepper
- black pepper
- small piece of potash, or dash of baking soda, or salt (to taste)
- If using dried cowpeas (or beans) or dried corn. Clean and soak in water for a few hours or overnight, as needed.
- Rinse and drain.
- Cook cowpeas in water in a large part until nearly tender (about an hour).
- Add corn and other ingredients. Cook until cowpeas and maize begin to disintegrate and form a paste.
- Season to taste.
- Serve as a main dish or side dish.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.