A Vegetable Soup
- Cooking Time: about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- 1½ cups brown lentils
- 6 cups cold water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 8-10 leaves Swiss chard; (washed,stems removed,cut down the middle and shredded)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- lemon wedges (for garnish)
- Wash the lentils and place them along with 6 cups of water into a large saucepan.
- Bring the lentils to a boil, (skimming when necessary) cover and simmer gently for aprox.
- 1 hour or until lentils are soft (don't undercook).
- In a separate pan, heat the olive oil, add onions and cook until transparent.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Add shredded swisschard and stir fry until the leaves are wilted.
- Pour onions into the pot with the lentils.
- Add cilantro and season.
- Add lemon juice and simmer for a further 15–20 minutes.
- Serve in soup bowls and garnishe with a wedge of lemon.
- Note: serve with some type of flat bread, as well.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.