From my Aunt Barbara’s Collection. Her notation says this was Uncle Bob’s most requested bean recipe. Dated 1919.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- 1½ cups small dry red beans or dry kidney beans
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sake or dry wine
- 1 tablespoon toasted black sesame seeds
- Rinse beans, cover with cold water and let soak 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain, cover with fresh water plus salt.
- Boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender about 1½ hours.
- Drain but retain liquid.
- Prepare rice by using bean liquid plus enough water to make 1½ cups liquid.
- Cover and bring to boil.
- Add beans and bring to boil again, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add sake.
- Mix gently and remove from heat and let sit until sake is absorbed.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.