- Serves 4
- 30 g / 1 oz refined agar-agar strands
- 1 bundle flowering garlic chives
- 3 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 250 g / 8 oz fresh bean sprouts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Oriental sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Soak agar-agar strands in cold water for 30 minutes to one hour while preparing the rest of the salad.
- Wash the flowering chives and snap off any tough lower ends.
- Finely chop some of the stalks to yield about 3 tablespoons.
- Cut the rest of the chives into bite-sized lengths and drop into boiling water for 30 seconds, then drain and immerse in iced water to set the colour.
- Drain as soon as they are cold.
- Beat the eggs, season with salt and pepper and stir in chopped chives.
- Heat a heavy frying pan and cook just enough egg mixture to coat the pan with a thin layer.
- When set but not browned turn egg sheet onto a plate and rub pan lightly with oil before making another.
- Continue until all the egg is used up.
- When cool, cut into thin strips (to make this easier, stack egg sheets and roll them into a cylindrical shape first).
- Wash bean sprouts, pinching off any straggly tails.
- Drain the agar-agar well and cut into bite-sized strips.
- Combine all the ingredients, cover and chill.
- In a bowl whisk together the dressing, first crushing the garlic to a smooth paste with the sugar.
- Pour over the salad, toss and serve.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.