- 2 cups black-eyed peas
- 1 medium red onion
- ½ tsp red pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp salt
- peanut oil (preferred) or other vegetable oil for frying
- Soak peas overnight.
- Drain and pound with masher to loosen skins, floating them off in running water or spread on a board and use rolling pin to rub skins loose.
- Soak further, if necessary, until peas can be crushed.
- Grind puree in blender, adding water as needed to a smooth consistency (like pancake batter).
- Grind very finely onion and peppers, if fresh, and add to beans in blender.
- Heat oil to 350 °F – 375 °F in deep fryer.
- Drop mixture by teaspoonful into hot oil and fry until deep brown.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Many Africans sprinkle the fried beans with additional red pepper.
- Eat them warm.
- Use as warm snacks or as a bread substitute.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.