Stuffed pastry squares
- Serves 10 – 12
- 6 cups flour
- 2 eggs beaten with ½ cup corn oil
- 2 bundles leeks (medium sized)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 3 onions (finely chopped)
- Sift flour, add the water and salt a little at a time, mixing dough until it becomes soft but pliable.
- Divide the dough into ten pieces, knead each piece well.
- Place on a tray sprinkled with a little water and let rise for at least one hour.
- Put ground beef in a saucepan with chopped onion, black pepper and salt.
- Stir over medium heat until cooked.
- Set aside until cool.
- Chop leeks and wash several times through a strainer; drain and put on a paper towel until excess water is absorbed.
- Add to ground beef.
- Take a piece of dough and cover in flour, roll out, place over back of hands and stretch until dough becomes quite thin.
- Place dough on worktop and trim uneven edges.
- Brush two tablespoons of egg and oil mixture over dough surface.
- Fold to form smaller squares.
- Place in frying pan or griddle over medium heat with one tablespoon of oil.
- Place pastry squares in pan and fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Repeat above method using five of the remaining pieces.
- With piece number six repeat as above to the folding stage.
- Place one fried pastry square in the center of the unfolded piece, cover generously with ground beef and three tablespoons of beaten egg.
- Fold into a square.
- Remember to sprinkle oil and egg mixture between layers.
- Fry in 3 tablespoons of oil over medium heat until both sides are golden brown.
- Repeat using remaining four pieces of dough.
- Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.