Festive spiced rice
- 1 recipe plain white rice
- 2 tbsp blanched almonds, halved or slivered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- ½ pound ground beef
- black pepper
- 1 tsp allspice (divided use)
- ¼ cup butter or olive oil
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Prepare the plain white rice in advance.
- Fluff the cooked grains and let cool to room temperature.
- Slowly saute the almonds in the olive oil, stirring frequently.
- When the almonds are beginning to brown, stir in the pine nuts and continue to cook until all the nuts are golden.
- Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Brown the ground beef in the same oil, sprinkling with the salt, pepper, and half the allspice.
- Remove from the pan and drain in a sieve.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat the ¼ cup butter or olive oil.
- Stir in the rice and sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg, and the remaining allspice.
- As the rice heats, continue to toss until it is hot and coated with spices.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.