- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- use 1 package ready phillo dough to replace steps 1-4
- 2 cups spinach, cut thin, cooked
- 1/2-1 cup yogurt
- Prepare the dough with flour, 1 and a half cups of cold water, 1 spoon of oil and half a teaspoon of salt, so that the dough may obtain average solidity.
- Press and mix the dough well, then divide in two equally sized pieces. Then divide the pieces into 10-12 ball shaped pieces.
- Spread the balls in well-shaped circles of the size of a plate. Place the circle-shaped dough on top of one another so as to obtain two large pies.
- Cover each pie with melted butter and leave for about half an hour to 1 hour.
- During this time wash a bowl of spinach, cut thin, add salt and leave in salt for about 15–20 minutes, then Squash.
- Mix the spinach, dock or sorrel with half to 1 cup yogurt and 2-3 eggs.
- Add the crumbled feta Cheese. Cover the baking pan with melted butter.
- Spread one of the dough pies to cover the entire pan and gently pull up the ends, then sprinkle melted butter on it and spread the spinach on it uniformly.
- Spread the second dough pie on top of the spinach.
- If using the ready made phillo sprinkle after each one butter and sepperate it in 3 parts.
- After laying down the first part add the spinach mix.
- Add the second part of the phillo dough and add spinach mix.
- In the end add the remaining phillo in layers still spreading butter in between.
- Cut the byrek in square slices, sprinkle with melted butter and place in a hot oven @ 375 degrees until cooked.
- Byrek can be served hot accompanied with yogurt.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.