- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 TBS lemon rind, grated
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- -- Glaze:
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- dash of ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Add eggs. Mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine yogurt and buttermilk. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and soda.
- Add yogurt-mix and flour-mix alternatively to the butter mixture, blending well.
- Add lemon rind and cinnamon. Mix well.
- butter a 9"x13" baking pan.
- Pour batter and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Make the glaze by simmering together all the ingredients, covered, for about 15 minutes.
- When the cake is done, remove it from the oven, turn the oven off, pour the glaze over the hot cake, and return it to the oven for about 10 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.