- 1/2 cup Onion, sliced
- 10 clv garlic, sliced thin
- 2 cup carrots, sliced thin
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbl corn oil
- 1 tsp turmeric, ground
- 1 fresh hot green peppers, halved, to 3 peppers
- 1 lb cabbage, coarsely sliced
- 1 tsp queman, see note
- 1 tbl tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 lb potatoes, cut like French
- Aleecha is a mixed vegetable stew. Quemam contains an ingredient not found in the US. I'd substitute dry berbere spice mix. In dry pan over moderate low heat, stir fry Onion, garlic, and carrots for 2 mins. Add 1/2 cup of the water and cook 5 mins longer. Add the oil and continue to simmer.
- Add the turmeric, chilies, and cabbage. Cover the pan and steam to reduce the bulk for 2 mins. Stir well and add the quemam, tomato paste, salt and the potatoes.
- Cover the pan and cook for 5 mins. Add the remaining water and simmer for 5 minutes more to soften the potatoes and thicken the sauce somewhat. Serve at room temperature with Injeera.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.