- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 3 – 4 whole cloves
- 3 medium zucchini
- 4 small yellow squash or yellow zucchini
- ¾ large carrots
- 4 medium yellow or red potatoes, skins on
- 1 red or green bell pepper
- 1 x 15-oz can garbanzo beans
- Saute onion in vegetable stock over med-low heat until translucent.
- Add all spices and cook for a few more minutes, stirring as needed.
- Add tomato paste, stir and simmer 2 minutes.
- Cut the vegetables in large chunks and add all (not the beans) and a dash of cinnamon; add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for an hour or so (this can cook slowly for 2 – 3 hours, if desired).
- Add the drained garbanzos about 5 minutes before you take the veggies off the heat.
- Put couscous in a bowl.
- Pour boiling water over couscous and wait about 5 minutes.
- Fluff with fork (ratio of about 1½:1 of water to couscous) for added flavor, add some of the liquid from the veggie stew to the couscous in place of some of the water.
- Serve the stew over the couscous.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.