- 1 kg of semolina flour (2.2 lbs)
- 3 eggs separated
- 750 gm of sugar (1.6 lbs)
- 2 sticks of butter softened
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- If you add a teaspoon of baking soda the cookies will be lighter.
- Beat the egg yolks and butter until light and fluffy as shown. Add the Sugar and blend.
- Whisk the egg whites until the consistency shown. This is the way I was taught to make the cookies. I don't really know if it makes much of a difference to the finished product.
- Add the vanilla. Blend the egg and butter mixture with the flour. The dough will feel "gritty".
- Add the egg whites. If the dough does not come together add a little water and blend until it does. Do not overwork the cookie dough.
- Take a walnut sized piece of dough and shape it with your hands to form a sphere. Wetting your hands with water keeps the dough from sticking to your hands. It takes a little practice to form dozens of even ones. If you like you can dip the cookies in confectioner's sugar before baking. Place the cookies 2" apart from each other on a buttered or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for about 10 – 15 minutes. My home oven is awful, poorly calibrated and it burns
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.