- 2¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup skim milk
- zest of ½ orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced
- 1 pint blueberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Mix the berries and sugar together and let sit for about 4 hours.
- This helps make the berries juicy.
- To make biscuits:.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 °F.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the cold butter, then mix (preferably with a paddle attachment) until you have a cornmeal texture.
- Add ¾ cup of the milk, vanilla and orange zest and mix until completely combined (to zest an orange, use a zester, paring knife or vegetable peeler to remove only the colored part of the skin).
- Roll out the dough (if desired, roll it out a second time) and cut into circles.
- Place on a baking sheet, brush the tops with remaining milk, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 10–15 minutes, until golden brown.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.