- 1 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight in plenty of water
- 6 cups water
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 level tsp ground cumin
- ¼ cup imli ka ras (tamarind juice)
- 2 large potatoes, boiled, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- Put the chickpeas in a large heavy-based saucepan, add the water, salt and the bicarbonate of soda and bring to boil.
- Cover the pan and boil the chickpeas for about 2 hours until they are tender but still retain their shape.
- This process can be sped up in a pressure cooker.
- Use half the quantity of water.
- Once the chickpeas have become tender keep them in the boiled water.
- It will be used at a later stage.
- Heat oil in a medium heavy based saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chaat masala, chilli powder cumin, imli ka ras, potatoes, chickpeas and water.
- Stir gently until well combined.
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 5–8 minutes.
- Transfer to serving dish.
- Garnish with sliced onions, tomatoes and green chillies.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.