Purchased from the Davis Estate in Anna, Texas in 1994. Dated 1944.
- 2-3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups Sugar
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-teaspoon salt
- 1-teaspoon ground ginger
- 3-1/2 ounces white chocolate, cut into pieces
- 1-2/3 cup whole almonds, toasted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4-cup apricot-flavored brandy plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 6 ounce dried apricots, diced
- Line cookie sheet with foil.
- butter and flour foil.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in processor.
- Process until fine meal forms.
- Add white chocolate and process until finely chopped.
- Add toasted almonds and chop coarsely.
- Beat eggs, brandy and extract to blend in large bowl.
- Add flour mixture and apricots and stir until moist dough forms.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls in three 12 inch-long strips on prepared sheet, spacing evenly.
- Moisten fingertips and shape each dough strip into 2-inch-wide log.
- Refrigerate until dough is firm about 30 minutes.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350.
- Bake until logs are golden, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer sheet to rack and cool completely.
- Reduce heat to 300.
- Cut logs from sides of pan if necessary.
- Transfer to work surface.
- Using heavy sharp knife cut each log crosswise into 3/4-inch-wide slices.
- Arrange half of cookies cut side down on cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Gently turn cookies over and bake 10 minutes longer.
- Transfer cookies to racks.
- Repeat baking with remaining cookies.
- Cool cookies completely.
- Can be prepared 2 weeks ahead, store in airtight container at room temperature.
Contributed by Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.