Makes 4 servings.
- 1 large head cabbage
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, ground
- ½ teaspoon fines herbes
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1½ cups cooked rice (cooked in chicken broth)
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Wash and clean cabbage.
- Immerse in salted boiling water; parboil 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove outer 8 leaves as they become pliable. Drain and set aside.
- Cook almonds with fennel seeds, fines herbes, thyme, pepper and cinnamon in butter in large skillet over medium-high heat until almonds are light brown.
- Stir in rice, currants and lemon peel; remove from heat.
- Spoon ¼ cup rice mixture onto center of each cabbage leaf.
- Tuck in sides and roll tightly into cylinders.
- Place rolls in greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with water; top with lemon slices.
- Bake, covered, at 350 °F for 20 to 25 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.