Finely Ground Beef, Frozen by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 4
- ⅓ cup saltine crackers, crushed
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- ⅓ cup 1% milk
- 1 egg (or equivalent egg mix), beaten
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces (¾3 lb) finely ground beef
- 1 x 8-ounce can pineapple chunks in juice
- ½ cup ½″-square pieces green pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Soak crackers and onion in milk until all milk is absorbed.
- Beat in egg and seasonings with a fork.
- Thoroughly mix in ground beef.
- Form mixture into 12 balls.
- Brown raw meatballs in hot fry pan about 10 minutes, turning frequently.
- Drain pineapple, saving juice - set chunks aside.
- Add water to reserved pineapple juice to make ¾ cup.
- Pour liquid over meatballs, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add reserved pineapple chunks and green pepper squares.
- Mix seasonings, cornstarch and water. Stir into mixture. Cook until thickened, about 2 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.