- 2 or 3 medium potatoes (boiled and peeled and loosely mashed)
- ½ tsp of cumin and mustard seeds each
- fresh green chili chopped finely - to taste
- ½ tsp each ginger and garlic (finely chopped)
- ¾ cup chopped onions
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ cup cilantro leaves (chopped)
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ cups besan - chickpea flour available in our store
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- oil for deep frying - use a wok for frying
- Heat about two tablespoons of oil.
- Add mustard seeds and when the seeds start to crackle, add the cumin seeds, green chile, salt, ginger and garlic.
- Fry for a few seconds and add onions and turmeric powder.
- When the onions start to turn brown add cilantro and lemon juice and the potatoes.
- Mix well and turn off the heat.
- Let this mixture cool.
- Shape into small balls.
- Make a thick batter with besan/chickpea flour, salt, red chili powder, baking soda and water.
- Heat the oil for 10 to 15 minutes on medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, dip the potato balls into the batter and carefully drop in the oil.
- Turn it every four minutes and remove from oil when it turns golden brown.
- Serve with tamarind or green chutney.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.