- 10 small potatoes
- 3 medium sized onions
- 2-3 tablespoon shredded coconut
- A small piece of ginger
- 4-5 green chilles
- 2-3 cardammom pods
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 1/2 tsp dhania(coriander) powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying the potatoes
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil/ghee(clarified butter)
- Boil the potatoes in a large pot. Use a sharp knife to peel them and prick the potatoes with a fork.
- Fry the potatoes in hot oil till they turn slightly brown. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan and fry the onions to light brown. Grind the coconut, poppy seeds, cardamon, ginger and green chillies to a paste.
- Add the paste to the onions. Fry till the oil separates. Add chilli powder,cumin powder and dhania powder and stir for 5 mins. Add the yoghurt, salt and the fried potatoes. Add enough water to cover the potatoes and simmer till the gravy is thick for about 10 minutes.
- Now add the garam masala powder and mix well.
- Garnish with the chopped coriander leaves. Eat with chapathi/nan.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.