Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
- Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny World Recipes Y-Group
- 1½ cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- vegetable spray, for waffle iron
- special equipment: steamer basket and waffle iron
- Put cubed sweet potatoes in a steamer basket.
- Place the basket in a large pot of simmering water that is no closer than 2 inches from the bottom of steamer.
- Allow potatoes to steam for 20 minutes of until fork tender.
- Mash cooked potatoes and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- In another bowl combine the sweet potatoes, milk, brown sugar, butter, and grated orange rind.
- Stir the sweet potato mixture into the flour mixture and thoroughly combine.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually fold egg whites into batter ⅓ at a time.
- The batter will be thick.
- Using a no.20 disher (scoop), place 2 scoops of batter onto a preheated, oiled waffle iron, and cook until lightly browned, about 5 to 6 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.