Ambrosia is a sweet fruit salad that is often served as a dessert. This version of ambrosia gives a slightly tart flavor with a pleasant crunch.
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- 3 cans fruit cocktail (fruit juice or light syrup)
- 1 x 16 oz tub whipped cream
- ½ cup walnuts
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 medium apple (sweet)
- 1 medium banana
- 1 small can mandarin oranges
- Drain mandarin oranges and fruit cocktail into small bowl. Pour oranges and cocktail into large mixing bowl.
- Add walnuts to cocktail.
- Peel apple and slice into chunks and put chunks into drained syrup.
- Slice banana and put chunks in syrup. Set aside for five minutes.
- Add banana and apple chunks to cocktail. Mix thoroughly.
- Add marshmallows to cocktail and mix thoroughly.
- Add whipped cream and mix thoroughly.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Make sure to add marshmallows LAST before adding whipped cream. Failure to do so will result in marshmallows melting.
- You can add coconut to salad if so desired. ½ cup is recommended.
- Extra maraschino cherries may also be added.
- Thoroughly drain cocktail using a sieve. Do not just drain in can.
- Failure to marinate bananas and apple in syrup will result in them browning.
- This dessert is best chilled but can be served at room temperature.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.