As to why these are called "Amerikaantjes" (Little Americans), that is unknown. They may have been called after the inhabitants of the USA, or they may have been called after that small place in the province of Brabant that is called America.
- 75 g butter or margarine
- 100 g sugar
- 1 egg
- 400 g flour
- 1 satchel vanilla sugar
- 1 satchel baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- ⅛ liter milk
- Cream the butter and add the egg, sugar and vanilla sugar.
- Mix the flour with the salt and baking powder.
- Alternate mixing the flour and the milk in with the creamed butter.
- Grease a baking sheet and put a dollop of batter on the sheet, leaving plenty of distance between them.
- Bake the Amerikaantjes in the middle of the pre-heated oven at 200 °C.
- Once they've cooled spread the icing on the bottom.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.