- 1 pound navy beans
- 3 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch baking soda
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1½ pounds ham meat
- 1 cup mashed boiled potato
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, optional
- 2 tablespoons sauce
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Combine the beans, water, salt and baking soda.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, skim off foam, re-cover, and let stand for 2 hour.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the parsley and simmer, covered, for about 1½ to 2 hours.
- Remove the ham bone.
- Add the parsley just before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.