- 2 red bell peppers
- 5 green Anaheim chiles
- ¼ cup sunflower oil
- 1 lb venison, cut into 1½ inch cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 cups cooked Indian hominy
- 8 cups water
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 cup tumbleweed greens, thoroughly cleaned, or curly endive
- Roast the peppers, then peel, seed, and cut into long strips.
- Roast the chiles, then peel, seed, devein and dice.
- Heat the oil in a large stew pot.
- Add the venison and cook 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the carrots, peppers, and chiles and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the hominy, water, salt, and pepper and bring the mixture ot a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the stew simmer 1½ hours, * add the tumbleweed greens, stir 1 minute and spoon into bowls.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.