- ½ cup whole milk or soymilk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp melted butter or soy margarine
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups (about 1½ apples) diced apples
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying, or more as needed
- Place milk, eggs and butter in large mixing bowl, and beat until well combined.
- Fold in cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt, and stir until well combined.
- Fold in apples, cinnamon, lemon zest and sugar.
- Heat oil in large skillet or deep saucepan over medium heat.
- When hot, spoon fritter batter into oil, about ¼ cup at a time, and fry until golden brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from oil, and place on several layers of paper towels to blot excess oil.
- Repeat until batter is used up.
- To serve, place fritters on individual plates, and pass with selection of toppings.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.