Contributed by the LR at World Recipes Y-Group
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3½ cup vegetable stock
- 1½ cup apple cider
- ⅓ cup pearl barley
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp dried marjoram
- 1 each bay leaf
- 2 cup unpeeled chopped apples
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a small soup pot, saute onions in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook, stirring frequently for 10 minutes or until onions are browned.
- Add stock, cider, barley, carrots, thyme, marjoram and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook for one hour or until barley is tender.
- Add apples, parsley and lemon juice.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until apples are slightly soft.
- Discard bay leaf and serve.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.