Applesauce, Canned Unsweetened by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 12
- 3 cups 1% milk
- 4 slightly beaten eggs
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup (4 ounces) peeled, cored, and diced apples
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 cups dried, cubed bread
- Lightly beat milk, eggs, sugar, applesauce, salt, vanilla, and cinnamon; stir in raisins and diced apples.
- Oil a 9” x 9” baking pan.
- Spread cubed bread over the bottom of the pan.
- Pour custard mixture over the bread.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place pan in a larger pan of water, cover with foil, and bake at 350 °F for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cut 3 x 4 to make 12 servings.
- Can be served warm or chilled.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.