This soft, delightful dessert is made with bread and tasty apples.
- Apple Brown Betty from Recipes for Better Nutrition During Cancer Treatment by the National Cancer Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Cook Time: About 45 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 4 cups thinly sliced pared apples or 1 can (16 oz.) pie apples, drained
- 2 cups bread cubes or torn bread pieces
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp margarine
- ¼ cup hot water
- Grease 1-quart baking dish.
- Arrange half of apples on bottom of dish.
- Follow with half of bread, then half of sugar.
- Repeat layers.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over top, cut margarine in pieces and lay them on top, finish by pouring hot water over all.
- Cover and bake at 350 °F for 30 minutes, uncover and bake 10 minutes longer.
- Serve warm or chilled.
- Apple Cheese Betty: Spoon 1 cup ricotta cheese over first layer of apples, bread, and sugar. Complete as above.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.