- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup toasted wheat germ
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 Gala or Golden Delicious apple, cored and finely chopped
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg white
- ½ cup low-fat (1%) milk
- Heat oven to 400 °F.
- Grease an 8-inch round cake pan.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in apple and cheddar cheese.
- Beat egg white and milk until combined.
- Add to flour mixture, mixing gently, until soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead 4 times.
- Spread dough evenly in cake pan and score deeply with knife to make six wedges.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top springs back when gently pressed.
- Cool until warm or room temperature.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.