- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large bowl, mix brown sugar, lemon peel and cinnamon.
- In a 12-inch skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat.
- Add half the apples; cook, stirring, 5 minutes, until tender.
- Gently stir into sugar mixture.
- Repeat the process with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and apples.
- Transfer filling to a 13" x 9" baking dish; cover and keep warm.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder and salt.
- With a pastry blender or 2 knives used scissor-fashion, cut in remaining butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in cheese and buttermilk.
- Turn dough onto a work surface (dough will be crumbly).
- Knead until dough is smooth and holds together.
- Drop dough by walnut-size pieces over apple mixture to cover; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Bake until filling is hot and bubbling and biscuits are golden, 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.