When you don't have the time or ingredients to deal with a fickle pie crust, this old-fashioned apple crisp recipe will rescue you from a dessert disaster. It takes mere moments to throw together, and the variations are endless. Add your personal touch of caramel, nuts, chocolate, or your favorite spices to make this basic apple crisp recipe really special. The buttery, sweet topping will make you wonder why you ever want to mess with a soggy crust again!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 lb cold unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Peel, core, and cut the apples into wedges and toss with sugar and spices. Mix in any other additional ingredients like nuts or chocolate at this time. Pout into a buttered dish.
- To make the topping, combine flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and cubes of butter in a bowl. Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly. Scatter evenly over the apples.
- Place the crisp on a shoot pan and bake for 1 hour until the top is brown and the apples bubbly.