- 3 cups water
- ¾ cup medium Quaker barley 
- 8 oz plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup 2% low-fat cottage cheese
- ¾ cup egg substitute or 6 egg whites
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ cups finely chopped apples
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Cook barley as package directs; set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 °F.
- Spray 11x7-inch glass baking dish with no-stick cooking spray or grease lightly.
- In large bowl, combine yogurt, cottage cheese, egg substitute, corn syrup, vanilla and ½ teaspoon cinnamon; mix well.
- Stir in cooked barley, apples and raisins; mix well.
- Spread into prepared dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with combined sugar and remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Bake 32 to 38 minutes or until edges are set and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Store tightly covered in refrigerator.
- ↑ To use Quick Quaker Barley, substitute 1 cup quick barley for medium barley and decrease water to 2 cups. Cook barley as package directs; set aside. Proceed as directed above.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (1/12 recipe):
- Calories 150 | protein 7g | carbohydrate 30g | fat 1g | cholesterol 5mg | dietary fiber 2g | sodium 120mg | percent of calories from fat: 6%
- Exchanges: starch/bread ½ | meat ½ | fruit 1½
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.