- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- ½ cup coarsely chopped nuts plus more for garnish, if desired
- 1 cup prepared vanilla icing (optional)
- Heat oven to 375 °F.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In large bowl with electric mixer, beat brown sugar and butter until creamy.
- Add eggs; beat until light and fluffy.
- Combine both flours, the cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir into butter mixture until blended.
- Stir in apples, oats, and nuts.
- Spread mixture in pan and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- If desired, top with icing and garnish with nuts before cutting into bars.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.