- Source: Better Homes and Gardens Daily Recipe Mailer
- Makes 8 servings
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pastry shell
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- ½ cup fat-free vanilla yogurt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 slices bread, cut up (about 3 cups)
- 2 medium cooking apples, such as Jonathan, Rome beauty, or winesap
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chopped nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, or almonds
- For crust, line the unbaked pastry shell with a double thickness of foil.
- Bake in a 450 °F.
- Oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove foil.
- Bake for 4 minutes more.
- Remove from oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 °F.
- For filling, peel, core, and slice apples.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together eggs, applesauce, yogurt, granulated sugar, ½ cup brown sugar, oats, and cinnamon.
- Stir in bread and apples.
- Set aside.
- For topping, in another mixing bowl stir together ¼ cup packed brown sugar and flour.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in nuts.
- Pour filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Sprinkle topping over filling.
- Cover edge of crust with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil; bake 30 minutes more or until top is golden and fruit is tender.
Nutrition information Edit
facts per serving:
- Calories 322
- Total Fat (g) 10
- Saturated Fat (g) 3
- Cholesterol (mg) 88
- Sodium (mg) 137
- Carbohydrate (g) 54
- Fiber (g) 2
- Protein (g) 6
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.