- 25 ml (1 fl oz) sunflower oil
- 15 g (½ oz) butter
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 450 g (1 lb) butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 200 g (7 oz) peeled and cubed Potato
- 2 medium eating Apples, peeled and cubed
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 750 ml (1¼ pints) chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- small pinch of Sugar
- 100 ml (4 fl oz) milk
- 25 ml (1 fl oz) brandy
- whipped or soured cream
- a little paprika or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan, add the Onion and sauté until golden.
- Add the Squash, Potato, Apples and spices and toss together over a low heat for about 2 minutes, until the fruit and vegetables are coated and the aromas of the spices are released.
- Add the stock, salt, bay leaf and Sugar, bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for about 25 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Cool until lukewarm, then remove the bay leaf.
- Puree the soup in a blender until absolutely smooth.
- Reheat gently in a clean pan, adding just enough, ilk to give a medium-thick consistency.
- Add the brandy and heat through without boiling.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls, top each one with a little cream and dust with paprika or sprinkle with chopped chives.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.