Makes 8 servings.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots*
- 1/2 cup Sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brandy extract
- Combine rice, apricots, 1/4 cup Sugar, butter and 2-1/2 cups milk in 3-quart saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Beat egg yolks with remaining 1/2 cup milk, stir into rice mixture, and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour into buttered 2-1/2-quart baking dish.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar, salt and brandy extract until foamy.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup Sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Spread over pudding.
- Bake at 350 degrees 9 to 12 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.