- Plain Flour - 150 g (5 oz),
- Ground Rice - 25 g (1 oz),
- Butter - 65 g (2 oz),
- Almond Essence - tsp,
- Milk - 175 ml (6 fl oz),
- Eggs - 2 beaten,
- Caster Sugar - 65 g (2 oz),
- Cornflour - 1 tbsp,
- Apricots in Juice - 1 227 g (8 oz) can,
- Apricot Brandy - 1-2 tbsp optional,
- Icing sugar - to dust,
- Cream - to serve.
1. Sieve 75 g (3 oz) flour into a Bowl and Stir in the ground rice. Rub in 50 g (2 oz) butter until the mixture resembles Bread Crumbs. Stir in the Almond Essence and enough milk to make a pastry dough. Roll out on a floured work surface and use to line an 18 cm (7 inch) flan ring. Bake blind at 190C / 375F / Gas 5 for 20 minutes.
2. Whisk together the eggs and 50 g (2 oz) sugar over a bowl of hot water until thick and Creamy. Fold in the remaining flour. Melt the remaining butter and gently fold into the mixture. Spoon the sponge mixture into the baked flan case. Bake for a further 20 minutes until risen and golden. Cool.
3. Blend the cornflour with the remaining sugar and milk in a Saucepan. Heat gently, bring to a boil stirring continuously until the sauce thickens, boils and is smooth. Cook for a minute. Drain and purée the Apricots with a little juice and stir into the cornflour sauce with the Brandy. Cool.
4. Slice the top off the sponge. Pour the sauce into the sponge. Replace top and dust with icing sugar. Serve with cream.