- ½ lb ground beef ( or lean pork or chicken, minced )
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ hot pepper, minced
- minced garlic, onion, pepper, salt, chive, thyme - to taste
- Season ground beef, then brown in oil ( or other minced meat).
- Cover and stew for about ½ hour - then mince again finely.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder and cornmeal together.
- Add butter and lard and mix thoroughly with fingertips until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Add sufficient water to make a soft dough.
- Knead lightly, then cut into pieces the size of a golf ball, flatten to 4" circles.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of meat mixture on one ½ of the circle, dampen edge and fold over the other ½ of the circle to form a crescent.
- Squeeze edges together.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Drain on brown paper and serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.