You don’t have to live in Boston to enjoy these beans.
- 2 cups navy beans, white beans, or great northern beans
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ lb. salt pork
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 5 tbsp dark-brown sugar
- 4 tbsp molasses
- Wash the beans thoroughly.
- Soak overnight in water to cover.
- Add salt, stir and drain, reserving the liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Cut off a third of the salt pork and place it on the bottom of the bean pot.
- Add the beans.
- Blend the mustard, brown sugar, and molasses with the reserved bean liquid and pour over the beans
- Cover and bake for 6½ hours, adding water as needed.
- Uncover for the final hour of cooking.
- Taste and add salt if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.