This fine stir-fry will make fans out of people who are ho-hum about cabbage. This recipe is from Madhur Jaffrey's cookbook, Food for Family and Friends.
- Serves: 6
- 1 cabbage, small, about 2½ cups
- 2 onions, medium
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds, whole
- ½ tsp fennel seeds, whole
- 4 tsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp salt
- Remove coarse outer leaves from cabbage, quarter and core.
- Cut into fine fine shred, either by hand or with food processor.
- Set aside.
- Peel onions; cut in half lengthwise.
- Cut crosswise into thin half rings; set aside.
- In large wok or large wide pot over medium heat, heat oil.
- When very hot, add the cumin and the fennel seeds.
- As soon as the seeds turn a shade darker (just a few minutes) toss in the sesame seeds.
- Stir for a second before adding onions.
- Stir fry 2 or 3 minutes or til browned on the edges.
- Cover tightly and turn heat to low.
- Cook 2–3 minutes or til cabbage wilts.
- Uncover and cook over high heat, stir fry 5 minutes or til vegetables are very tender.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.