White rice with salt pork
- Wash salt pork under cold running water and remove all the salt that is on it.
- Pat dry with a clean paper towel and cut in ½ inch pieces.
- In a frying pan pour in about ½ teaspoon of olive oil just enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Bring heat up to medium, once the pan is hot place salt pork in pan.
- Once the pan starts to sizzle turn the salt pork until all sides are a nice golden in color and almost dry in texture.
- Remove and let drain on a paper towel, at this time you can dispose of all but 1 to 2 tablespoons of the mixture of oil and pork grease in the frying pan.
- Wash and drain rice as you did in the plain white rice recipe.
- But this time i want you take the 1 to 2 table spoons of oil you saved form the frying pan and pour it into a 2 quart pot that you have placed on the stove.
- Turn up the heat and place the washed rice in to it.
- Stir rice until you have completely coated it with the oil.
- Make sure that the heat is not so high that it will burn the rice.
- Once the rice has been well coated pour in the water raise heat and put in the salt pork stirring into the rice.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and cover let cook for about 30 minutes undisturbed.
- At then of the 30 minute cooking time turn heat off and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.