Makes 6 servings.
- 2 1/2 pounds choice Chicken pieces
- flour, salt, ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped Onion
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 3 fresh tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron
- 1/4 cup sherry or Madeira
- 1/2 green pepper, slivered
- 1/2 red pepper, slivered
- Dredge Chicken pieces in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Lightly brown Chicken in oil, turning often to prevent burning.
- Remove Chicken and drain of all but 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Add Onion to drippings and cook until tender but not brown.
- Stir in chicken broth and rice.
- Return Chicken to skillet and place tomatoes on Chicken.
- Add bay leaf, cloves, parsley and saffron.
- Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover with tight-fitting lid and simmer for 45 minutes, or until Chicken is tender. All liquid will not be completely absorbed by rice.
- Just before serving, add wine and garnish with slivered peppers.