Somehow, the English translation "Cuban Chicken with rice" just doesn't do this exotic dish justice. Serve with salad, garlic bread, and wine, and you'll have a feast. Note that saffron is often less expensive if you purchase it at an oriental or other ethnic specialty market. You can make this dish a day ahead and reheat it. (If you double or triple the recipe, reduce the amount of water).
- Serves 4.
- 1 frying chicken, cut in serving pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup olive oil
- 6 oz canned tomatoes
- 6 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 lb raw rice
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 green pepper, cut in strips
- 2 pimentos, cut in strips
- ½ pkt frozen peas, cooked to almost tender
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Fry chicken with onion and garlic in oil until brown.
- Add tomatoes and water; bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes.
- Add bay leaf, salt, rice, saffron, and green pepper.
- Place in 8" x 10" casserole; bake 20 to 30 minutes, stirring at least twice.
- When water has been absorbed and chicken is fork tender, garnish with peas and pimientos.