- 4 medium whole squid
- 1 piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 medium tomatoes, cored and quartered
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To clean the squid: cut off tentacles just below the eyes, remove and discard beak, and set tentacles aside.
- Push out entrails by sliding the back of a knife along the body from the tail to the opening.
- Pull out quill and discard with entrails.
- Peel off skin, if you like.
- Cut tentacles in half lengthwise and cut body into rings.
- Combine squid and ginger in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice, cloves, and bay leaves and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and 2½ cups water.
- Increase heat to medium-high, bring to a boil, and cook 10 minutes.
- Add squid, season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir well.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.