- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup peanut oil
- 4 plum tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced hot red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup white rice
- Place the chopped Onion and the minced garlic in a skillet with the peanut oil over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the Onion is transparent. Add the tomatoes, salt, hot red pepper, and the bay leaf. Simmer 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are almost puréed.
- Stir in the 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Add the rice; stir; cover, and cook for 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Stir and serve as a side dish for meats or poultry.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.