- Yield: 6 servings
- 10 oz artichokes, (6 medium)
- 1 lemon, halved
- 3½ tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup vegetable stock or water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Wash artichokes by plunging them up and down in cold water.
- Cut off stem end of each artichoke; remove bottom leaves.
- Trim about ½ inch from the top of each artichoke; trim away about one-fourth of each leaf (tip).
- Rub the top of each artichoke and trimmed edges of leaves with cut lemon to prevent discoloration.
- Arrange the artichokes, stem ends down, in a large Dutch oven; cover with water, and add the lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until a leaf near the center of each artichoke pulls out easily.
- Drain and set aside.
- Combine vegetable stock and oil in a nonstick skillet; place over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini, tomato, parsley, and bell pepper; cook 13 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in salt and pepper.
- Scrape out the fuzzy thistle center (choke) from each artichoke with a spoon, and discard.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.