This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Utley Estate in Mesquite, Texas in 1988.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 5 large artichokes
- 5 teaspoons rice washed and drained
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tablespoon dill chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Trim base of the stem then break off all dark leaves and throw them away.
- Scoop out the light green leaves and choke with teaspoon and discard, then rub with lemon.
- Clean off the bottom part with a knife.
- Leave in the water and lemon juice mixture to prevent discolouration.
- Saute onion with olive oil in a pot.
- Add rice, salt and sugar then cook for a few minutes over medium heat.
- Pour ¾ cup of hot water in it then stir and put the lid on.
- Turn the heat down to low then cook until rice is soft then add dill and toss.
- Place artichokes in a shallow pan and fill with rice equally.
- Pour ¾ cup of hot water into the pan from the side then cover the lid.
- Cook until artichokes are fork tender over medium low heat.
- If necessary add little by little more hot water.
- Arrange them on a service plate then pour remaining half of the olive oil over and sprinkle some chopped dill on top.
- Serve cold.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.